Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Be still, my soul

Today's post title has been my marching order to myself lately, along with my prayer flung up to Heaven. For many reasons, my soul has not been still lately.

Just one of the reasons for my jitters: I'm working on a huge project that's in God's hands, but as the deadline approaches, I find that I'm struggling to leave it in His capable hands. So I'm reminding myself of the absolute necessity of letting Him lead me, instead of me trying to lead myself. And one of the best ways I know to do that is through music.

I've mentioned the song "Be Still, My Soul," in an earlier post, and for me, it's one of the best musical reminders I have to breathe, calm down, and let God be in the driver's seat. My sweet, patient husband has endured repeated playings of it the last few evenings. I wanted to share the lyrics with you:


"Be Still, My Soul"
by Catharina von Schlegel, 1752
Translated by Jane Borthwick, 1855

Composer: Jean Sibelius, 1899
Tune: "Finlandia"


  1. Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side; Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain; Leave to thy God to order and provide; In every change He faithful will remain. Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend, Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
  2. Be still, my soul; thy God doth undertake; To guide the future as He has the past. Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake; All now mysterious shall be bright at last. Be still, my soul; the waves and winds still know His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.
  3. Be still, my soul, though dearest friends depart And all is darkened in the vale of tears; Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart, Who comes to soothe thy sorrows and thy fears. Be still, my soul; thy Jesus can repay From His own fulness all He takes away.
  4. Be still, my soul; the hour is hastening on When we shall be forever with the Lord, When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone, Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored. Be still, my soul; when change and tears are past, All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

If I had to pick a favorite line right this moment, it would be from verse 4: When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone, Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored ...

My hope is that your troubles are light and sorrows are few and far between right now, and that you're enjoying days by the pool or lake or wherever you find renewal and rest. However, my friends, for those of you who do find your souls gripped by disappointment, grief or fear, I hope the words of this song will give you solace.

Have a song that soothes your soul? Let's hear it!

3 comments:

  1. I love this song, as well. Another favorite is "Be Thou My Vision".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon -- I love "Be Thou My Vision." Thanks for reminding me of another great hymn.

    Here's a Bible verse I read on my church's newsletter today after I had already posted this, and I wanted to share it with the rest of you:
    "...the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace," Romans 6:8 (NASB).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! Thank you for sharing.

    -Bri

    ReplyDelete