Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Miracle Tree

Was the weather absolutely gorgeous where you were this past weekend? It was here, and my thoughts turned once again to the plans I have for our yard and gardens. I'm still trying to figure out where a fig tree could fit into all of this, but I'm not sure there's room for it. Even one fig tree would take up a lot of room.

The warm promise of spring just around the corner always exhilarates me, and I find myself thumbing through gardening catalogs and driving to my local favorite nursery to wander through rows of trees, shrubs and flowers while I plan and dream and re-plan and dream some more.

Every year, spring seems like such a miracle to me, and I'm always thrilled to see what decides to grace our garden again each year.

Speaking of miracles, did you know there's a real miracle tree? It's called the Moringa tree. Although it's a native to the Himalayas, it grows in a range of climates and can truly save lives. The Moringa tree bears fruit and its leaves can be brewed into a tea or ground into a powder to be added to food. The fruit and leaves contain a surprising range of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and -- get this -- every amino acid humans need (Source).


I was reminded of this tree from a Facebook update by UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief). Check out their recent article about the Moringa tree. UMCOR's work in Africa includes introducing Moringa seeds and trees into areas where food can be scarce and malnutrition a real threat.

My own church has a partnership with a mission station in Liberia, Ganta Mission Station, and through donations, some of our church members have helped introduce even more Moringa trees into the countryside there. This is a part of the world where war has altered generations, leprosy still exists and poverty is extreme. Can you imagine what a miracle tree the Moringa must be to the people living there?

I won't always give a "call to action" in my blog posts, but I encourage you to research more about this tree and its benefits and to see where you can help provide hope and healing to others by donating to programs that introduce or spread this tree in areas around the world that need it most.

And in the meantime, let me know how your garden grows.

2 comments:

  1. In our 3-acre yard, we have a few flourishing flower beds - and more than a few that are floundering. I'm amazed every spring when the same hardy tulips manage to pop up through the rocky soil in the untended areas despite my years of neglect. It gives me hope for the many other ares in my life that get neglected in the business of the day-to-day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison -- we've had tons of bulbs pop up over this past, warm weekend. I'm always thrilled when any of the plants come back, but especially ones that aren't supposed to perennialize. I think you're right: gardening is all about hope -- not just for getting it right in the outdoors, but also getting it right in other areas of our lives. Keep me posted on how your garden and your life continue to grow!

    ReplyDelete